Rocky road – the perfect combination of chocolate and marshmallows. Who doesn’t love chocolate cupcakes, marshmallows on the inside, and chocolate frosting? The best part about cupcakes is they taste great and you can decorate them however you like!
What you will need:
– 1 cup of whipping cream
– 2 bags of semi-sweet chocolate chips
– 1 box of chocolate cake mix
– Chocolate chips (milk, white, and/or dark – whatever you please!)
– Marshmallow fluff (optional!)
You want to start with the frosting first, because the frosting must be chilled before it is complete. Place 1 cup of whipping cream in a medium saucepan and heat it on the stove. When the whipping cream beings to bubble, turn off the heat and remove. Stir in the 2 bags of semi-sweet chocolate chips until the mixture is smooth. Then transfer this chocolate ganache into a medium bowl and refrigerate until cool.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Next, make the cake mix according to the box. Line 24 cupcake tins and divide the mixture evenly. Bake according to directions on the box.
There is a couple of options with putting marshmallow into the middle of each cupcake:
– You can place a couple mini-marshmallows into the centre of each cupcake before placing them in the oven
– After they come out of the oven and are cooled, you can cut out the centre and fill it with marshmallow fluff or fill them with mini-marshmallows
– There is also the option of just leaving the cupcakes as is
To core the cupcakes in order to fill the centre, you can use a small knife or a cupcake corer. How big you make the hole is up to you.
Once the cupcakes are out of the oven and are cooling, it’s time to finish the chocolate frosting.
Remove the cooled chocolate ganache from the refrigerator and beat until light and fluffy. Fill a piping bag with the desired nozzle and pipe the frosting onto each cupcake.
Time to decorate – my favourite part! You can basically decorate these cupcakes however you want, but I wanted to stick to the rocky road theme, so I used mini-marshmallows, milk chocolate chips, and white chocolate chips. Once finished decorating… enjoy!
This recipe is from Rocky Road Cupcakes.